Tuesday, November 20, 2012

In Thanksgiving for Shoes

What am I thankful for this Thanksgiving?


Shoes, shoes and more shoes!


I remember the shoes of my life.

In high school my favorite shoes were Keds tennis shoes. White with the blue logo on the back. That royal blue seal of approval was worn by most every girl in my high school in Rogers, Arkansas. Looking back I believe one of the reasons we loved these shoes is because our school colors were royal blue and white. I loved wearing my tennies to football games to cheer on our Mountie team.

When I met my husband Eddie I was wearing the latest fashion: platforms. Yes the tallest shoes I've ever possessed those white platform heels were an amazing pair of shoes. They were the favorite shoes of my life. When I met Eddie I was wearing a blue mini dress and those platforms. What a tall gal I was in those shoes when I met my handsome husband!

Pink satin heels were the shoes I wore to my daughter's wedding. What a magnificent day! I was only 40 years old when my daughter walked down the aisle. I was not going to wear a matronly mother's dress so I chose a Waters and Waters pink dress with a peplum waist. What a blessed day. I still have those shoes and the dress.

One of my greatest adventures was a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Monsignor Hebert suggested very comfortable shoes for walking a whole lot. I picked out some white Reeboks that carried me over the cobblestones where Jesus walked. I treasured those shoes because of that significant lifetime moment. The Vatican was our next stop and I had chosen dark gray, suede, lace-up ankle boots. My first visit to the heart of my Church was a holy moment requiring black clothing in my opinion. Not only black attire for the whole occasion but a requirement for my first view of the Holy Father. Yes, I was in the presence of Pope John Paul II and received his blessing wearing my favorite black pumps.

On a return trip to Rome several years later, I chose the most expensive pair of shoes I own and I don't even know the brand. Walking in Rome with a new found friend from South Africa was an unforgettable moment. We met there for a Catholic Press journey to witness the installation of the newest cardinals. Cardinal John Foley was so honored. Elva, the lady from South Africa, and I are still friends today maintaining our friendship via email.

Today my favorite shoes are simply the ones I am wearing at the moment. 

And for that I am extremely grateful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment